Part Time, Contract
Axis Connects - Calgary, Hybrid (work from home and office)
Axis Connects is a non-profit organization taking the lead role in being a central collaboration and resource hub for women-focused organizations in Calgary with a mission to increase gender representation in leadership roles. We provide career development opportunities, networking events, community connections and mentorship to support women throughout their professional journeys. Axis also recognizes and celebrates female leaders through the Calgary Influential Women in Business Awards Gala each year.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Data Analyst will support Axis Connects’ mission to connect, collaborate and champion the incredible movement to advance women in business Calgary, by supporting the day-to-day operational and promotional aspects of the organization. We are a small, dynamic and empowering nonprofit organization that requires an individual with an entrepreneurial spirit. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, highly motivated, takes initiative and can execute plans, campaigns and opportunities. The role is expected to be up to 20 hours per week. Hours are flexible. You must be located in Calgary but this is a hybrid position as in working from both home and office.
Axis staff are dedicated to serving our community. Diverse in background, outlook and life experience, our team addresses important issues with passion and creativity. A culture of collaboration and innovation provides a thriving and successful environment for all. Together, we are committed to increasing diverse representation in leadership.
Our growing organization is recruiting an individual with experience in data analytics and statistics. As the data management expert, the Data Analyst facilitates informed decisions on strategic action items and advances Axis’ priorities by performing qualitative and quantitative research, designing reporting systems, overseeing data collection and conducting analyses. The incumbent designs, develops and implements methods associated to this research.
This role will be responsible for maintaining and transforming data into meaningful insights regarding stakeholder behavior, trends, and operational effectiveness and develops new reporting tools and data visualizations and representations to advise Axis Connects senior leadership and support data-driven decision-making. The Data Analyst is responsible for program performance reporting, including data mining and analysis, explaining variances, and providing ongoing data and reporting.
- Develop and implement data analytics strategy.
- Contributes to the identification of Axis’ data needs and priorities for upgrades.
- Collects, analyzes, interprets and extracts data. Works with complex datasets to research, analyze and prepare statistical reports on key findings.
- Advises Axis leadership team, uses statistical analysis to evaluate progress towards strategic targets.
- Develop and create regular reports on key performance indicators (KPIs) on a regular basis to track progress and success.
- Conducts benchmarking research exercises and analysis to support Axis’ objectives. Conduct environmental scans and literature reviews to support the development of reports, statistics, and indicators.
- Reorganizes and streamlines current databases to accurately synthesize reports, summaries, and dashboards to produce insights. Develops reporting schedule and creates and runs reports required for all levels of reporting.
- Maintains data and develops data quality assessments on main databases to ensure its accuracy and suitability.
- Recommends, develops, and implements process improvements to ensure the timely and accurate transfer of information into the CDL network-wide databases.
- In consultation with the team, builds solutions to simplify CDL’s data infrastructure and data visualization tools to empower the team to access and leverage data independently.
- Builds automations to reduce manual work while increasing efficiency and accuracy.
- Manages key data collection and implements new processes to acquire and analyze information that has been identified as significant to the operation of the organization.
- Educates the larger team on how to use the tools according to the improved processes (on an ongoing basis). Provides training and answers questions around data management from Axis employees.
- Utilizing data sources, conduct analyses regarding the efficacy of Axis’ programs and the factors that lead to success.
- Create reports on stakeholder and member demographics and program performance for Axis’ programs. Collaborate with program director to ensure up-to-date and accurate system data.
- Support the development of materials (e.g., analytical reports, methodology or technical notes, presentations, educational, media, etc.) for dissemination of findings and knowledge translation, and reviews written products for analytic accuracy and quality.
- Submit statistics and present analysis and findings to the Board and other internal and external audiences.
- Engage with outside experts in academia and industry to further strengthen Axis’ understanding of auditing and its impact.
- Keep track of changes to reporting and data collection requirements
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual statistical reports for all programs.
Other duties and responsibilities:
- Create and maintain process documentation for key business processes
- Perform other related duties and departmental coverage as assigned
- Participate in regularly scheduled meetings
- Attend and represent organization at meetings with community stakeholders
The Experience you bring:
- A belief in our mission!
- Bachelor’s degree required; Studies accounting, finance, economics, or related field
- Minimum 2+ years of relevant work experience in data analysis and/or statistics - including manipulating, maintaining and preparing data and presenting analyses and reports for different audiences
- A strong analytical background and are comfortable with analytical tools
- Excellent communication (oral and written) interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team with minimal supervision
- Fluency in English is required, bilingualism is an asset
- Expertise with data manipulation and statistical software packages (Stata, R, or SAS) and/or other programming languages to conduct econometric modeling and statistical analysis is essential
- Ability to clearly articulate a position with sound logic, supporting empirical evidence, and impartialityStrong strategic thinking, analytical, decision-making skills and creative problem-solving
- A self-starter able to administer a number of open, on going assignments at any one time, where some assignments are routinely unstructured, requiring autonomy and independent judgment
- Proven organizational and time management skills, with an ability to manage multiple projects and priorities effectively to meet deadlines
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility, creative problem-solving skills and initiative in adapting quickly in a fast-paced environment
- A high degree of computer literacy and extensive experience with Microsoft 365 and Google Drive, in particular, demonstrated high-level proficiency with advanced Excel/Google Sheets functions (VLOOKUP, PivotTables, PowerPivot, etc.).
- Understanding of privacy, copyright, and data security best practices.
- Experience working in a non-profit agency is advantageous
Equal Employment Opportunity
Axis Connects is an equal opportunity employer and all employees are entitled to a professional work environment, free of discrimination and harassment. We honor inclusivity, diversity of thought and curiosity. If you are inspired by what you’ve read, we encourage you to apply by submitting your:
- Cover letter and resume
- Social media handles
- Salary expectations
We look forward to hearing from you!
We can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org